13 June 2008

summer reading

I finished The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield within days; it really is almost impossible to put down.

The fictional heroine's droll diary entries are laugh-out-loud funny. It may be about a 1930s Devon housewife, but the stylistic similarities to Bridget Jones's Diary are unmistakable.

This edition, with a fabric cover designed by Cath Kidston, is part of the Virago Modern Classics 30th anniversary series. While reading the last few pages on the allotment, I noticed the cover matched the roses in one of the neighboring plots perfectly.

9 comments:

  1. One of my absolute favourite books, I thoroughly recommend the "sequels" too, her war-time antics are hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - one of the early signs of blogging addiction is when you theme your book covers. You may decide to just read books that have roses on the cover (as in your case) or books which match your china (see Poshyarns) - I could go on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photograph, and I just may have to scour the bookstores here in Sydney to see if I can find a copy of that book.

    ~If only because it's the most beautiful book I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book is beautiful. Where did you find that copy. I absolutely love it. Happy Saturday and thanks for sharing. Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd buy the book just for the cover...probably!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi- are you enjoying reading Barbara Pym? She's one of my favourite authors but I rarely (make that never) come across anyone else who knows her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came over on Ali's recommendation and am loving your little blog. Books, cooking and allotments - I can see I'm going to become a regular over here!

    Am off to search Amazon for a copy of that gorgeous book now.
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Came over from Ali and love your blog with the fabuloous combination of books, flowers and cooking etc. Love the cover of that book - worth having for that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to read her daughter's book, Provincial daughter. It's set in the 50's and is as funny as the original.... although I shouldn't think it comes with a Cath Kidston cover.
    BTW, Domesticali sent me over. Nice lady.

    ReplyDelete