20 September 2009

getting smutty

Our last big adventure in North Norfolk was a ride on the Wells & Walsingham Light Railway. Or perhaps I should call it a little adventure, as the train was quite small!

Here's G peeping out one of the carriage windows:

We sat in an open car, knee-to-knee, to feel the breeze and get the best views. This was a super idea on the way to Walsingham, where the driver gave the train a quick tune-up:

But not such a super idea on the way back to Wells, when we were covered in coal smuts! I had one in my eye, and it wasn't nearly as romantic as it seemed in Brief Encounter...

13 comments:

  1. How lovely a trip on a little train! I watched Brief Encounter recently as it is one of my favourite films. It was as wonderful as I remember. The tearoom is so very atmospheric. I love the clothes too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yes, those coal smuts sting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brief Encounter = boo hoo!

    Looks like fun (other than the owie part)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You big kids! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I spent my honeymoon in North Norfolk! Nothing exotic for me, but it's a place of happy memories for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny! John and his sister went to Walsingham last weekend and jumped on the same railway, giggling all the way no doubt. He said it was great fun and also got smuts in his eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We must buy a train set for a soon birthday. of which I am reminded by this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never got smutty until I had been on the Wells & Walsingham Light Railway, but now I am a dirty boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could have worn your new cap and made the conductor very envious! D x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love Walsingham, it's a fav destination. Well actually love Wells too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apparently my grandmother travelled with two pairs of gloves - a grey pair for the train journey and a clean pair for arrival. Now I know why!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I'm sorry about the coal, though. That really doesn't sound fun. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear! An eye smut is less than glamorous, very cute train though.

    ReplyDelete