20 July 2008

aga saga (well, almost)

Here's my latest Virago Modern Classics book, which I finished while soaking up the warmth of the Rayburn in Aldeburgh:

I've read 84 Charing Cross Road before. But I enjoyed it even more this time around, especially as this edition (unlike the one I borrowed from the library a few years ago) includes the fabulous Duchess of Bloomsbury Street, in which Helene Hanff documents her eventual visit to London.

The cover features a textile designed by Marion Dorn for the ocean liner the Orcades. It coordinated beautifully with the cream Rayburn and blue tea towels:

5 comments:

  1. I love 84 Charing Cross Rd (have you seen the film? Also very good) but thought Helene came across a bit selfish in Duchess of Bloomsbury...

    Looking through your list of books in the side-bar - what a wonderful group of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book jacket is beautiful! Did you get the hand of cooking on a rayburn? Easy when you know how...not so easy when you don't....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished it myself. Same edition...

    Loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think what pleasure you would have missed if the sun had shone and you had been out sightseeing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of my all time favourite books and I have just treated myself to this edition as well

    ReplyDelete