23 September 2008

eating in aldeburgh

All that walking and fresh air meant we had to do our fair share of eating!

While we did eat in most nights, enjoying fish pie and fish cakes from Lawson's Deli and the wonderful Thorpeness salad leaves from Aldeburgh Market, we did go out a few times, too.

The Lighthouse Restaurant on Aldeburgh's High Street is amazing. Even off-season and mid-week, it was busy and taking reservations:

I can honestly say, the Lighthouse alone is worth a trip to Aldeburgh. I had a delicious, simply dressed lobster salad and G had pork belly with lentils. Mmm!

For oysters, it's a short drive to Orford and The Butley-Orford Oysterage. The atmosphere is low-key and utilitarian with paper-covered tables, but the staff are lovely and the oysters are divine.

And finally, I discovered Alder Tree fruit cream ice. The pear-vanilla and gooseberry-elderflower flavors are scrumptious: a real party in the mouth! And I hereby recant everything I've ever said about the relative merits of ice cream and sherbet...

4 comments:

  1. not fair, you're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I would love to visit Aldeburgh, your photos and words have made me even more determined to visit.
    Kimxx
    That ice cream sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the sea air is very good for the appetite!

    ReplyDelete