06 June 2011

open day

We were back at Petersham on Sunday, not just to try the new baguettes (though that would be reason enough)

or to admire the arrangements of peonies,

but to visit the private garden of the Nurseries' owners, Gael and Francesco Boglione. Sunday was this season's second Petersham House Garden Open Day, raising funds for the National Garden Scheme.

While their magnificent house and garden are adjacent to the Nurseries, up till now we'd only ever glimpsed a corner of the vegetable patch through the connecting gate...

I should have listened to G and taken more pictures of the planting scheme--the sweeping lawn, the beds brimming with alliums and poppies,

the walls covered in roses, and especially the 150-foot double border, of which this tiny specimen is my only reminder:

But of course this provides the perfect excuse to visit on the next Open Day. And I did get some snaps of the chickens and their rose-bedecked chicken coop:

Now I know exactly who's been making all that noise in the Nurseries,

though coffee at Petersham wouldn't be the same without a few cock-a-doodle-doos!

13 comments:

  1. lucky chickens! I got a reservation for the main restaurant in July, cannot wait. you were so right, I called on the 2nd and got a table for the 2nd next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weren't the poppies lovely! And all the times I've been there and I've never heard the chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petersham always provides inspiration for beautiful pictures! But should I be worried about those lovely chickens ending up on the Petersham menu?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to love the NGS! We've visited some gorgeous gardens over the years, and come away with lots of ideas. And eaten lots of cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh my chickens need roses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting to see the Boglione gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful poppy. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be a lovely place. All those pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun that you got to see their gardens! And finally meet the chickens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I discovered Petersham Nurseries through your blog and found "How to Cook" by Skye Gyngell at a Toronto bookstore today. Thank you - your posts are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful flowers and colours - I wish my garden was full of these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope those chickens wont' end up in the baguettes...

    ReplyDelete