25 March 2011

magnificent magnolias

Yesterday, Tracy, Nancy, and I met for our monthly walk round Kew. This being our first spring visit, we were hoping for bounteous blossom. Sadly, there seemed to be more blossom at Kew Gardens station than in the park itself.

But the dearth of blossom was more than made up for by the magnificent magnolias, literally towering over the park, in every shade of white and ivory,

peach and pink:

I do love magnolias. Their full flowers and heady scent always remind me of home. Plus, they're nominally linked with some of the very best cupcakes...

Must be time for another batch!

7 comments:

  1. cupcakes and blossom, what's not to like xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were beautiful. I like them more now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're wonderful, aren't they ... like oak trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timing is everything. I've just pulled some Queen's cakes out of the oven...the precursor to cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh thanks for the beautiful magnolia pictures - they are so gorgeous and it's lovely that this year they've bloomed in all of their glory - last year the frost got them around here and they didn't flower. Happy cake-making!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving those little glimpses of spring! Still full on snow here, but I'm looking forward to when my own magnolia blooms.

    I think I may need to check out that cupcake book. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful, must pay a visit soon!

    ReplyDelete