30 September 2010

autumn apples

Moving on to things more autumnal, the old orchard in Langdon Park is once again groaning with apples, which means there's plenty of opportunity for picking,

and even with the schoolboys using them as missiles (!),

there's more than enough for batch after batch of fresh applesauce:

This year, I've been using the recipe from Forgotten Skills of Cooking, which has worked perfectly. The ratio of apples to sugar is just right, unlike in my old American recipe, which wasn't written for cooking apples.

Such a super book in general. Though I haven't forgotten the skills--I just never knew them!

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE apple sauce! Not familiar with that book, so will look out for it.
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so enjoying the fruits of my Mum's new orchard-like garden! Luckily, No2 can't get enough of my apple pie and I'm loving apple and blackberry on my porridge every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like Darina Allen - such a comforting style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there's something extra delicious about foraged-for food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm yummy. and please don't show me any more cookbooks....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yum! That applesauce looks fantastic. I will have to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laughing at the thought of the boys using the apples as missles - though obviously I wouldn't be if I got caught in the crossfire...

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry missiles - should use the preview button more often!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That applesauce looks delicious. What a lovely looking cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this book will be added to my list. Can't wait for my own apple tree to have fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious apple sauce, the first one I have tasted that does not include lemon juice. Maybe Bramley apples tartness does not require a drop or two lemon juice?

    ReplyDelete