31 March 2009

gardening bug

If you missed it on Sunday, make time tonight to watch How Britain Got the Gardening Bug on BBC iPlayer.

It documents British gardening from World War II to today: everything from Dig for Victory to garden gnomes. There's fabulous old BBC footage and entertaining commentary from Carol Klein, Nigel Slater, and Germaine Greer, amongst others. And one of the members of the allotment committee at the end looked eerily familiar...

If you're interested in gardening (or indeed social history), this could be the best 90 minutes of your week!

11 comments:

  1. Had no idea Germaine Greer was a gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think she is, but it gave the opportunity to comment on how repressed the English are! It was a really funning programme, and I screamed with laughter a dozen times. Well worth making time to watch this :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I caught a very tiny bit of this and wished I'd seen more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm probably in for a disappointment but I'm going to see if I can access this show. Here's hoping...Dx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We watched half of it and taped the other half, well worth watching I agree.
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder - I meant to watch this but didn't get to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gardening and football... are too opposite forces battling on in our patch...

    and I'm afraid the outcome doesn't look good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a little something over at my blog, pop over to see!
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's just starting to turn a little Springlike here in New England finally and I'm personally hoping to have a little herb garden on our balcony again this year. That's about as good as it gets when you live in the city unfortunately, but if we didn't I'd love to have a real garden. I'll have to check out the video you linked to. I love those BBC documentaries. They're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, thanks for the tip - I might have to nip off to iplayer, thanks Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish the iplayer worked over here!!!!

    ReplyDelete