23 March 2009

baking and buncle

This was meant to be a post about baking, but I couldn't resist mentioning Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson (endpaper pictured below), which I finished yesterday afternoon--when I really should have been digging at the allotments!

Miss Buncle, whose dividends are dwindling, writes a novel about her village and its inhabitants to supplement her income. Only she describes her neighbors a bit too well: they soon recognize themselves in her book (a runaway bestseller), are terribly offended, and uproar ensues. Light and easy, yet so wonderfully witty and well-written, it's nearly impossible to put down.

In baking, the rather unseasonable warmth and sunshine last week put me in the mood for lemon. So here are the Lemon Squares from Martha Stewart's Cookies:

A wonderfully rich and incredibly lemony recipe. I only made two small adjustments: extending the baking time slightly and serving the squares without the confectioner's sugar topping to let the lemon really shine. Now if we could just have the sunny skies back!

7 comments:

  1. I just ordered Miss Buncle, I'm looking forward to meeting her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered Miss Buncle, too! She sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Them lemon cake lookss absolutely delicious - but only for people who have worked hard, digging and such like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lemon slices are mouth wateringly delicious - a party in the mouth. Highly recomended to lemon lovers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Buncle sounds like a terrific read so I must add that one to 'The List'. I just love your titles for posts Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of Miss Buncle. A trip to Lamb's Conduit Street is in order I think. Love the look of those lemon squares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that sounds like my sort of book, off to investigate.

    ReplyDelete