26 March 2009

big bun

G and I have been enjoying lovely thick slices of raisin toast this week using the Raisin Bread from The River Cottage Family Cookbook:

Hugh and Fizz describe this loaf as 'a large, shiny currant bun'. And that's essentially what it is, only better!

It would be extra-good with a think schmeer of butter from the cookbook's Making Butter at Home project, which we did with the Rainbows a few terms back. There's a sudden and oh-so-satisfying slosh when the lump of butter separates from the liquid. Even the pickiest girls were excited enough to try a bit on their bread. Totally worth doing at least once.

Now having finished our last slice of raisin toast this morning, I'm ready for hot cross buns! Not long to wait...

11 comments:

  1. God that looks delicious! I've got that book out of the library at the moment, will have to try it....I;'ve been thinking of hot cross buns too!
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highly recomended toasted with loads of butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with pebbledash, how utterly scrumptious looking! I haven't had my breakfast yet and now everything that I have in the cupboard pales in comparison. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. no 1 loves hot cross buns... where do I get a recipe from???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I've just discovered you through Dotty cookie (why I've not found you before I don't know!)That raisin bread looks amazing... I'll certainly be back for more!
    Gina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yuuuuuuum! Kristina, you have to stop posting all these yummy recipes - I want to make them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that looks incredible!!! Good to see your own little photo studio (yes, I know it's your window sill!!!!) being put to excellant use!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Hugh--we don't get nearly enough of him over here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I haven't made that for ages and yours looks even better than the one in the book. I am off to bake one of those right now, it will make perfect toast for tomorrow's breakfast. Thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I've seen that book around - this looks like a recommendation to me - I LOVE raisin bread! It seems so old fashioned - I bet it would be lovely on a toasting fork, browned in front of a lovely warm fire. Emma x

    ReplyDelete