07 July 2008

scandinavian sunday

G and I had a very Scandinavian Sunday. In the morning, we visited the Vilhelm Hammershøi exhibition at the Royal Academy. Lovely paintings of interiors in every shade of gray. So calm and elegant. Much nicer than the gray skies outside.

Vilhelm Hammershøi, Interior with Woman at Piano, Strandgade 30 (detail), 1901,
oil on canvas, private collection (image: Royal Academy)

Afterwards, we stopped at the Nordic Bakery for lunch:

G had one of their signature cinnamon buns. I had an egg and Swedish anchovy sandwich. It may sound odd, but trust me, it's delicious, particularly when served on a round of very thin dark rye bread. All this with good strong coffee--mmm. And yes, I did pilfer a bit of G's cinnamon bun for dessert, but how could I resist?

9 comments:

  1. Yum! I do love scandinavian colours...so restful. D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to go to that exhibition now! So much to do - so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely sounding day. I would havce gobbled up your sandwich in a trice - I love rye bread, and egg, and I adore anchovies so all three together - heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that sounds like a wonderful Sunday - mine was grey, grey, grey and not the beautiful Scandinavian kine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cinnamon buns are my own personal nemesis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Nordic Bakery! On, how I miss London (...although the baked goodies I found in Charleston this past weekend were excellent, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to see that exhibition...

    (anchovies? ... not so much...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yum, their menu is very tasty I must say! I feel a cinammon bun coming on...or perhaps smoked salmon, mmm...x

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting...what a nice way to spend Sunday. I am off to Ikea tomorrow...then....Ilva ! not as nice as the exhibition you went to!
    I love cinnamon bun's, my hub's family are bakers and make the most wonderful cakes, including cinnamon buns.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete