31 March 2011

meadow minders

Soon Anne and I will be looking after Fluffy...

in our new posts as Meadow Wardens in Petersham Meadows!

Until recently the Meadows (once part of the Ham House estate) were managed by the Petersham Trust. But last year the Meadows were handed over to the National Trust, which is recruiting volunteer wardens to maintain the fields and herd.

I'm very excited, but also rather nervous, as the only large animals I've ever looked after have been Labradors and greyhounds. But we've been assured the cows, who return from their winter quarters next month, are just as lovely and loyal...though there might be rather more poop to scoop!

16 comments:

  1. I'll look out for you among the cowpats, Kristina! Rather you than me with the cows -but how handy for tea and cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't realized your charges were quite so glorious! No bog standard cattle for Petersham Meadows - only the most photogenic will do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very exciting responsibility... and such pretty cows too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Should be lots of fun and no doubt give you lots of stories and photos to share (please!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an excellent reason to shop for new boots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bit scared of cows... I was chased by one when I was little...but Fluffy looks a good sort. It's lucky you already own posh wellies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely, I can remember pushing my son's pram through the meadow, with toddler and dog in tow, and the cows were not at all bothered! I'm sure they will be delightful. Jude

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make sure to wash your boots before you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me know if you need a cowhand sometime! I'm green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, they're beautiful! I love cows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck and have fun! But she doesn't really look like a Fluffy to me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. this cow is pretty, and they have the most amazing eye lashes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fluffy looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cow is really rather sweet.
    Does he (she?) answer to her name?

    Very different from a Texas Longhorn, eh?

    ReplyDelete