10 July 2009

gorgeous gooseberry

I was hoping for blue skies for my Gooseberry Ice Cream photo shoot, but we seem to be having nothing but gray lately. Then again, this fantastically tart ice cream could liven up even the grayest day:

This year, I used the recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's The River Cottage Year, which I definitely prefer to the recipe I used last year. It was a bit more work, but completely worth it. The most difficult part was actually picking the gooseberries: those thorns are vicious!

We had quite a big crop this year, so I've also frozen two kilos for later use. After a few hours in the freezer, the gooseberries roll around like big green marbles. Fabulous fun...or perhaps I'm just too easily entertained!

7 comments:

  1. I am always reminded of large bowling balls when I'm shoving around the frozen turkeys at the supermarket. Another delicious looking cone! D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's gooseberry glut time here too. I adapted the Delia rhubarb crumble ice cream recipe and now have a gooseberry and elderflower crumble one instead, which is proving very popular.

    Thank you for posting the elderflower cupcake recipe, by the way - two batches are cooling as I type, and the sampled one was divine - as is the topping. I can hear my cholesterol reaching for the skies....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gooseberries straight from the freezer - like ice gobstoppers.

    I also saw them grown as a standard bush once and they looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the birds hadn't stolen all our gooseberries I'd be joining you! Mind you, it is the first year for the bush so can't really expect much ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very envious, of your harvest and your beautiful looking ice cream. I can almost taste it from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very subtle flavour, ideal for warm summer evenings :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore gooseberries (and Hugh!). This looks truly delicious.

    ReplyDelete